Friday, February 27, 2015

Some discussion of Tales mechanics

I played through the first dungeon on Tales of Hearts R.  I'm not sure whether they are all designed small because the game was created as a portable game or whether it's merely tiny because it's the first dungeon and is a training ground.  Regardless, it was only three screens.

Ever since at least Tales of Symphonia, there has been some sort of on screen representation of the random encounters.  Usually, they've been some sort of blob.  However, that's not the case in Tales of Hearts R.  You're just thrown into combat.  I consider that a step back, but it's probably one of the limitations of the original DS version of the game that they decided to not alter for the Vita version.

The dungeon also reminded me why the Tales designs can bug me.  There are slightly raised areas that are completely inaccessible because they didn't want to make the room that big.  What it looks like is that our protagonists can't lift their feet the 3 or 6 inches to get up on the area.  That can be frustrating.

I did manage to restore an emotion to our heart-broken girl; now she can feel fear!  I guess I should watch out for Yellow Lanterns now.

No comments:

Post a Comment